Monday, July 27, 2009

Urban Renewal & Street Art

I've been thinking a lot lately about street art. I remember some time last year my friend Santina and I were hanging out one night after she had interviewed me for her Baltimore video project and we decided that in that moment we should go create something in the public. I had some prints with me that I was getting back from her, and I suggested we get some extra strong tape and just post some prints in a location that needed some life. There were some technicalities that prevented us from doing it that night but the thought has not yet escaped me.


Baltimore is a place that has seriously been lacking in street art. When I visit other cities I often marvel over how much art there is and how good it is. I was researching some neighborhoods in Brooklyn when I came across Color Me Katie. After browsing her blog I found that she did street art and I particularly enjoyed her process. Here is a short video of why she makes the art that she makes and what makes it special.


So just because Baltimore isn’t overflowing with street art I have come across a couple of pieces that I do like.




photos via psychic friends



No comments:

Post a Comment